IT Services offers managed virtual servers as an alternative to managed physical servers. This service takes advantage of virtualization technology to host multiple virtual servers, each of which functions as a complete and independent server, on a single physical server.
For information on IT Services' virtual first policy, see the Guidelines page.
This service offering is only available with corresponding systems administration support agreements from the CRC Server Group.
Two categories of virtual machines are offered — restricted data and unrestricted data:
- Restricted data virtual servers are supported in a PCI-compliant environment.
- Unrestricted data virtual servers are secure but do not meet PCI compliance.
- Can be provisioned more quickly than physical servers.
- Uses less power and cooling, supporting university sustainability efforts.
- Discounted system administration rate.
- No need to purchase/refresh equipment.
- Selection of pre-configured sizes.
- 32 GB Individual & Group File Storage.
- 3 snapshots per virtual server at no additional cost.
IT Services offers six levels of service:
|Slots||Description of Service|
|Micro||Up to 1 GB RAM, 1 vCPU|
|1||Up to 2 GB RAM, 1 vCPU|
|2||Up to 4 GB RAM, 2 vCPUs|
|4||Up to 8 GB RAM, 4 vCPUs|
|6||Up to 12 GB RAM, 4 vCPUs|
|8||Up to16 GB RAM, 4 vCPUs|
This service offering is only available with corresponding systems administration support agreements from the CRC Server Group. Virtual Server is available by subscription which is charged monthly to your department’s IT Services bill. To subscribe, submit a request through OrderIT.