Travel is often part of the job for faculty, researchers, and collaborators. Taking your laptop or mobile device when you travel, however, significantly increases the possibility of data and identity theft. If you are traveling to a high-risk country, a free loaner iPad will make travel easy while helping secure your data.
The iPad Loaner Program, a joint effort between the Information Security Office (ISO) and IT Services, ensures that faculty and staff will have the applications and information they need while minimizing the amount of sensitive data that is carried abroad. Note: this service is provided free-of-charge, however, you and your department are responsible for any damage or loss, including cables and peripherals. Departmental approval and a valid PTA are required to participate in the program.
- iPad with WiFi
- Accessories such as keyboard and adapters
- Ready-installed free and for-fee apps
Loaner iPad kit
The loaner iPad kit contains the following accessories and iPad apps:
- Carrying case or protective sleeve
- Bluetooth Logitech Ultrathin keyboard
- World travel adapter kit (international power adapter)
- Lightning-to-VGA adapter (for projecting presentations and transferring pictures)
- Lightning-to-USB camera adapter (for transferring pictures and video from a camera)
- Lightning-to-SD camera reader (for transferring pictures from an SD memory card)
- Google Authenticator
- Google Drive
If you are traveling to a high-risk country, request a free loaner iPad at least one week before traveling. An IT Services consultant will meet with you to determine which hardware, apps, and accessories you'll need, install the required apps, and provide any necessary training. Upon your return, the consultant will arrange a time to pick up the kit.
The fine print
- All loaned equipment, including associated peripherals and initially installed software, is the property of IT Services. You or your department are responsible for any damage or loss while the equipment is in your possession.
- For security reasons, the iPad will be erased when it is returned to IT Services; you are responsible for transferring all of your data to your own computer or storage device before the iPad is erased. Note: data is not backed up. IT Services is not responsible for lost data.
- The maximum loan period is three months. If equipment is not returned as specified, IT Services reserves the right to charge your departmental PTA $99 each week until the equipment is returned.