Sophos Anti-Virus is Stanford's site-licensed anti-malware software. It can protect your computer against viruses, adware/spyware, and other malicious software.
- Supported Operating Systems: Mac OS X 10.7 and above
- Hardware: Intel-based Macs (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Disk Space: 150 MB free
- Memory: 512 MB
- Under certain settings, Sophos scans all archives and compressed files on startup of an application. This makes scanning significantly slower. To configure Sophos to exclude archives and compressed files from its scans when launching applications, disable the Scan: Inside archives and compressed files option in the Sophos Preferences (located on the On-access Scanning panel under the Options tab).
- If you have an antivirus program other than Norton AntiVirus 10 installed on your computer, you must manually uninstall it before installing Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Sophos Anti-Virus updates itself automatically so your version of the program and the virus definitions are always up-to-date.
- Users who back up their Mac to Apple's Time Capsule product have reported that Sophos will significantly slow down backups in its default configuration. Time Capsule users should disable the Scan: Files on network volumes option in the Sophos Preferences (located on the On-access Scanning panel under the Options tab) while running their backup to avoid this problem.