The following services can be sponsored with Sponsorship Manager:
Account (SUNet ID, email)
A sponsored SUNet ID is available to anyone who is not part of the core Stanford community (students, faculty, staff) as long as this person uses computing resources in support of legitimate University work. SUNet IDs can be sponsored for contractors and consultants, temporary staff, visiting faculty, and others.
A person can have only one SUNet ID, through either sponsorship or University eligibility. It's possible (though unnecessary) to sponsor a University-eligible person's SUNet ID; simply, no charges will accrue to the sponsor's PTA until the sponsored person's University-eligible status ends. Not all services available to university-eligible SUNet IDs are available to sponsored SUNet IDs.
How to sponsor a SUNet ID account
To sponsor an account for someone, follow the steps below. Note: you must be Stanford faculty or staff (not including temporary or casual).
- Search for the person who needs a SUNet ID in Sponsorship Manager's Find a person or account tool.
- If the person's SUNet ID is found in Sponsorship Manager, click Sponsor Person to activate the account.
- If the person doesn't have a SUNet ID or person record, use Sponsorship Manager to create a new person record and sponsor a SUNet ID.
- The sponsored individual will receive an email invitation to create a new SUNet ID at accounts.stanford.edu. The account must be created within 30 days.
- The new SUNet ID is activated on the day you indicated as the sponsorship start date. No more action is required of either party.
When a full-service SUNet is sponsored, a monthly fee will be billed to the PTA you provide; you must have requisitions authority for the PTA in Oracle Financials.When a base service level is sponsored, no PTA is required.
The SUNet ID is used as the login ID (available to all service levels) to access systems and secure online resources to which it has been specifically allowed, at the discretion of the system owner. These may include:
login to Axess (if the owner was formerly a student)
login via WebAuth to any protected website to which it has been granted access
Quota (more email storage)
@stanford email accounts are given, at no charge, a base amount of storage space (quota), currently 1 GB for sponsored accounts, 3 GB for staff and students, and 5 GB for faculty. This is plenty of space for most people using POP mail, but may not be enough for those using IMAP email. Individuals using either type of service can buy additional storage space.
- For a monthly fee, any person with an @stanford email account can be sponsored for additional quota (in amounts of an additional 1 GB up to a total of 64 GB) for that account.
- Multiple sponsors can add quota to the same email account.
Email service for a department or function
University departments or functions can be given a special, shared email account. The account name must be 9 characters or longer, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org. To request a shared email account, please submit a request form. Once the account has been approved and created for you, sponsorship is required to activate it.
- A base level account provides an address that forwards email to one or more individuals or mailing lists at no charge.
- A full service level account has a monthly fee, and requires a staff or faculty sponsor who has active Approvals-Requisitions authority in Oracle Financials for a University PTA. The full account provides an IMAP group email account that can be accessed by more than one user. Additional quota for full departmental accounts can also be purchased through Sponsorship Manager.
If you are the administrator for a departmental account, you will see a new section in StanfordYou with the heading Manage your departmental accounts. There you can set up email forwarding addresses (for base or full accounts) and an autoreply message (for full-service accounts only).