To complete the AirWatch installation, you will need your two-step authentication method and your Apple ID password.
If you don't have one, during the enrollment process you'll be required to set a passcode on your device that contains a minimum of four characters.
What to expect after you install MDM
It might take a few minutes to fully install the profiles on your device, so please be patient. When the process is complete, you’ll find MDM profiles installed in Settings > General > Profiles.
Your device will:
- Require a passcode to unlock it. You can change this setting to "Immediately," one minute, or five minutes. Go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock.
- Time out after a period of inactivity and require a passcode to unlock it. You can change your preferences in Settings for a period up to five minutes. Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock.
- Sync your email, contacts, and calendar appointments after installation.
- Require you to enter your @stanford.edu email password before you can access your email.
- Be set up to access the Stanford VPN.
- Check periodically to make sure it hasn't been jailbroken.
- Display the AirWatch app and the Stanford App Catalog.
- Perform otherwise as it did before you installed the MDM.
If your @stanford email account is set up on your device, please delete it before enrolling in MDM. MDM configures your @stanford email account for you.
To delete your @stanford email account, tap Settings > Mail, Contact, Calendars. Under Accounts, tap Exchange. Verify that this is your @stanford account and tap Delete Account.
- Log in to mdm.stanford.edu/client/register.
- If the WebLogin screen displays, enter your SUNet ID and password and tap Login.
- If required, enter the two-step authentication six-digit authentication code.
- Read the instructions on the Getting Started page and then scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Begin Enrollment.
- Download and install the AirWatch MDM Agent.
- When AirWatch MDM Agent has finished installing, tap the Home button.
Enroll in MDM
If you see a "Too many redirects" error while trying to enroll in MDM, please do the following to successfully complete your enrollment:
- Clear the cache of your Safari browser by going to Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data. Tap Clear Cookies and Data to confirm.
- Restart your device by pressing and holding the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button until the device powers down. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
- Begin the enrollment again using Safari to go to mdm.stanford.edu/register.
- Open AirWatch from the home screen by tapping AirWatch.
- If prompted, tap OK to allow AirWatch to use your current location.
- At the prompt for your work email address, enter your @stanford.edu email address and then, tap Continue.
Do not select Continue without email address.
- Select the owner of the device and then tap Next.
If this is a shared corporate device that should not have an individual's email address associated with it, contact the IT Service Desk to have the email profile removed.
- When the Authentication Successful page displays, tap Continue.
- A page displays, very briefly, saying that you are about to start installing the profile.
- When the Install Profile page is displayed, tap Install.
- A message saying this profile will change settings on your device displays. Tap Install Now.
- A warning message saying that this profile allows an administrator to remotely manage your device displays. Tap Install.
Note: This message is standard legal information from Apple and is generated automatically. See the Additional iOS Privacy Information page for more information about this warning.
- When the profile has finished installing, the Profile Installed page displays. Tap Done.
- Next, a message saying that the enrollment status is complete displays. Tap Continue.
- If prompted, Tap OK to allow AirWatch to sent you push notifications.
Set a passcode
You must set a passcode within 60 minutes after your device is enrolled in MDM. The passcode must be a minimum of four digits.
- A page showing information about your device displays. You can navigate away from this page.
- You are prompted to set a passcode if you do not already have one. Tap Continue to set one now.
- When prompted for a new passcode, enter four or more digits and tap Continue.
- Re-enter your new passcode and then tap Save.
Set your email password
When you enroll in MDM your @Stanford email is configured on your device. However, you need to set your email password.
Note: It can a few minutes for the AirWatch server to provide your email profile to your device.
When you tap Settings or the Mail app you may be prompted for your Stanford Mail password. Enter your email password and tap OK.
You can also set your Stanford Mail password as follows:
- On the home page, navigate to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars >Stanford Mail.
- Tap Account and enter your email password in the Password field.
If your email is hosted on Zimbra, use your SUNet ID password; if your email is hosted on Google, use your Google Apps password.
- Tap Done.
Connect to the Stanford VPN
See Configure VPN for Apple iOS for instructions on how to connect to the Stanford VPN with your iOS device.