When you run the Encryption installer, it first checks your computer to make sure certain requirements are met, such as having BigFix and Sophos Anti-Virus software installed. You will need to fix, or let the installer fix, any items that are flagged before continuing with the installation.
Once your computer has been authorized to install encryption, you will be presented with the options that are available for your computer.
- McAfee Endpoint Encryption — this the only solution for computers running Windows XP, Windows Vista, and some versions of Windows 7 and 8.. It can also be used by departments that want to centrally manage computer encryption. Note: It is recommended that support staff make sure the system is running the latest available BIOS version before deploying McAfee Endpoint Encryption.
- BitLocker Encryption — uses Windows built-in encryption technology to encrypt the whole disk. Requires Windows 7 (Ultimate or Enterprise edition) or Windows 8 (Professional or Enterprise edition). Also requires a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 1.2 , which must be enabled and activated in the the BIOS. See the Enable BitLocker page for more information.
Download whole disk encryption
- Download the Encryption Installer (for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8)
Install whole disk encryption
Note: You are encouraged to contact your local support organization to make sure your system is being routinely backed up prior to running the SWDE installer.
- Run the Encryption installer.
- When the Welcome window is displayed, browse through the instructions and then click Next.
- Read the policy agreement and then click Next.
- The installer runs a test on your computer to ensure that certain requirements are met before installing Encryption. For example, BigFix and Sophos Anti-Virus software must be installed, some network services need to be disabled, etc. If the Test Results window shows items that need to be fixed, click Fix Items.
Note: If you need to install BigFix or Sophos Anti-Virus, you will be directed to another web site to download the software. After installing, close the browser and continue with the Encryption installation.
If the Test Results window shows that no items need to be fixed, click Next.
- Select the option you want to use to encrypt your whole disk and then click Install.
- Install McAfee Endpoint Encryption: recommended if your computer cannot enable BitLocker.
- Enable BitLocker: recommended for computers running Windows 7 (Ultimate or Enterprise edition) or Windows 8 (Professional or Enterprise edition) with a version of Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that meets certain requirements. The installer displays a message if BitLocker can be enabled on your computer.
Install McAfee Endpoint Encryption
There are two parts installing McAfee Endpoint Encryption.
- Install the software.
- Contact your local support person to complete the final step necessary to encrypt your system.
See Using McAfee Endpoint Encryption for information on logging into your system with McAfee, and setting or resetting your password.
If you need help
- If you encounter problems, please call (650) 725-4357 or submit a HelpSU request. This service is provided 24 X 7 by IT Services.
- Removal of McAfee Whole Disk Encryption is a service that is available upon request. Please submit a HelpSU request to contact your local support representative who can initiate these actions from the server.