PGP whole disk encryption is no longer offered. If you already encrypted your hard drive with PGP, and want to decrypt and remove it, follow the instructions below.
Removal of whole disk encryption is a service that is available upon request. If you want to decrypt your hard drive, you must submit a HelpSU request. You will be asked whether you want to temporarily decrypt your hard drive or whether you want to leave the Stanford Whole Disk Encryption service entirely. If you want to leave the service, you can uninstall the PGP Whole Disk Encryption software after you decrypt.
Decrypt your hard drive
Note: Decryption can take several hours, so you may want to start it at the end of the day and let the decryption run over night. You may use your computer during the decryption process, but certain activities may be noticeably slower.
- Submit a HelpSU
request stating that you want to decrypt your hard drive.
- After you receive confirmation that you are authorized to decrypt,
restart your computer.
- Click the PGP padlock icon in the upper-right corner of your
screen and then click Open PGP Desktop.
- Click Decrypt.
- When prompted, enter your passphase and then click OK.
- The decryption process will begin. The progress, including the
estimated time remaining, is displayed on the PGP Desktop.
- When the decryption process has finished, the Status
will change to Not encrypted.
- Quit the PGP Desktop.
- If you are leaving the Stanford Whole Disk Encryption service, you can now uninstall the PGP software.
Uninstall PGP whole disk encryption software
To remove the PGP Whole Disk Encryption software from your computer, download and run the PGP Uninstaller and then restart your computer.
Note: Do not use the PGP menu Uninstall command to uninstall the PGP software. Instead, use the Stanford-provided Uninstaller for PGP Whole Disk Encryption.
- Download the Uninstaller
for PGP Whole Disk Encryption.
you downloaded the the uninstaller using Safari, the file will open
automatically. If you used another browser, double-click the downloaded
.dmg file and then double-click the PGPuninstaller icon
in the disk image window.
- When the Welcome window is displayed, click Continue.
- Click Continue.
- When the license agreement is displayed, read it and click Continue.
Then, click Agree to accept the terms of the licence
agreement and continue with the installation.
- When prompted to select a destination, click the icon for your hard
drive and then click Continue.
- Click Install to begin the installation of the PGP
- When prompted, enter your Administrator account for the Mac and
uninstall the PGP software, you will need to restart your computer. If
it is inconvenient for you to restart your computer now, click Cancel
and run the PGP Uninstaller later. Otherwise, click Continue
- Click Restart to complete the removal of the PGP
Whole Disk Encryption software.