Many organizations, including Stanford, supply calendar information through a standard format called iCalendar, in the form of .ics files. This standardized format allows various applications, whether they be web browsers or desktop applications like Apple's iCal, to receive automatic updates, including new events and schedule changes.
You can subscribe to those external calendars in the iCal (.ics) format and view them within your Stanford Calendar. You can also subscribe to external Google or Yahoo CalDAV calendars.
The following example shows how to add Stanford's football schedule, which is available online as an .ics file, to your calendar.
- Click the Calendar tab.
- In the Overview pane, click the gear icon on the Calendars heading and then click Add External Calendar.
- In the Add External Calendar dialog box, click Add External Calendar (Other) and then click Next.
- In the Add External Calendar (Other) dialog box, enter the following and then click Next.
- Type: Select iCAL Subscription
- ICS URL: Enter a valid iCal file URL for the remote calendar.
- In the Add External Calendar dialog box, enter the following:
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for this calendar.
- Color: Choose a color to display this calendar's activities.
- Exclude this calendar when reporting free/busy times: If they are discretionary events, select to ensure that your schedule doesn't automatically appear as busy during events on this calendar. If you plan to attend all the events, it makes sense to clear this check box.
- Click OK. The new calendar displays in your Calendar list.