Shared Email has two components: Group mailbox, for which mail sent to the Shared Email address is sent to a mailbox accessible to all group members, and Forwarding address, for which mail sent to the Shared Email address is forwarded to a mailing list or to the designated individual mailbox of each group member. There is a monthly charge for each shared mailbox.
To use Shared Email, first request the service and then set up your email program. You cannot use Webmail to access your Shared Email; you must use a desktop email program that supports IMAP, such as Outlook, Thunderbird, or Apple Mail. You can work with both your personal email and your shared email in a single email program, switching mailboxes as needed, or use separate email programs.
Request Shared Email
To get started with the Shared Email service, subscribe using the Shared Email Request form. You'll need the following information to complete the form:
- The desired account name (for example, KiteClub@stanford.edu)
- Your organization's four-character administrative code
- The SUNet ID of one or more account administrators
- Whether you need a shared mailbox or a forwarding address
- A brief description of the purpose of the account (for example, "A forwarding email address for the Stanford Kite Club")
- SUNet ID of the person who can approve the monthly charge for the account (optional)
When your Shared Email request has been approved, it's time to configure your desktop email program for the service.
Set up Shared Email
To set up your email client:
- Open the Configuring Your Email Program web page.
- Program: select the name of your email program (such as Outlook or Thunderbird) from the list. If your program isn't listed, select Generic Instructions.
Note for Outlook 2013 for Windows users: There is a known issue with using Outlook 2013 for shared email. You cannot delete a message by clicking the "X"next to it. The workaround is to drag the message to your Trash folder to delete it.
- Protocol: select IMAP. Note: do not configure your email for POP; all of your group's email will be downloaded to your computer and deleted from the mail server.
- Authentication: leave unchanged; the correct method was set when you selected your email program in Step 2.
- Click Show Instructions.
- Follow the instructions for your email client, substituting information for Shared Email as needed. Your email program may not prompt you for all of this information, or may use a slightly different term (for example, Display Name instead of Full Name).
- Email address: The email address for your Shared Email. For example, email@example.com.
- Your name: The group name displayed the From field in outgoing mail. For example, Stanford Kite Club.
- Incoming mail server: group-accounts.pobox.stanford.edu.
- User name/Account ID: sunetid — your own SUNet ID, not an email alias.
- IMAP path prefix/Root folder: Leave this blank. For iPhone or iPad, enter group in lower case.
- Save sent mail on the server so that everyone in the group can access it.
- If you use Outlook or Thunderbird for you email program, you need to subscribe to the shared mailbox.
To subscribe to the shared mailbox in Outlook:
- In Mail, in the navigation page, click the Inbox for the IMAP account that contains the folder to which you want to subscribe.
- On the Tools or Folder menu (depending on your version of Outlook), click IMAP Folders.
- Click Query.
- In the Folders box, click the folder you want to subscribe to. To select multiple folders, press CTRL while clicking the folder names.
- Click Subscribe.
To subscribe to the shared mailbox in Thunderbird:
- Select the mail account from the left column.
- Right-click your mail account name and then click Subscribe.
- You will see all the available IMAP folders on the server. Select the ones that you want to add to your mail client and then click Subscribe.
- Click OK. The new folders are now available.
Manage Shared Email
Shared Email account administrators can use Sponsorship Manager to request more storage space, and the Shared Email Access Control List Editor to grant and remove access to the mailbox. Use the Accounts application to forward email to other accounts and set up automatic email replies.
To manage Shared Email:
- Log in to accounts.stanford.edu.
- Click Manage.
- The Account tab opens.
Width = 560px Height = 381px
- Click the Shared Email tab.
Width = 560px Height = 137px
- On the Shared Email tab, click the account you want to manage.
- Click Manage autoreply or Forward email.
- Make the desired changes.
- Click Save.