Outlook comes with the Microsoft Office Suite for Windows. If you use Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, Outlook is probably already installed on your computer. Outlook offers more than just an email client. It also incorporates calendar, contacts, and task functions. It can be used alone to manage mail via IMAP or POP, or can be paired with the Outlook Connector for synchronization with Stanford Email and Calendar. The connector provides an integrated email and calendar experience similar to what you see in Webmail.
If you need some additional training, the IT Services Technology Training group offers classes for Outlook. There are hands-on and online options available.
For additional information on Outlook see:
About the Outlook connector
The Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) is software produced by Zimbra to provide real time two-way synchronization of mail, contacts, tasks, and calendar between Outlook and the Stanford Email and Calendar server. ZCO supports Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013..
The latest release of the Outlook Connector is version 8.0.6. It was posted to the Installing the Outlook Connector page on December 19, 2013.
See the Outlook Connector Change Log for information on fixes in previous releases.
General information and notes
- When initially syncing historical calendar data (your own or a shared calendar you are linking to) it is not uncommon for the initial sync to take 1–2 hours.
- Existing Outlook users should expect some small degree of slowness they did not experience in Outlook prior to installing the Outlook Connector. This will be particularly true if you have not opened Outlook and had it sync to the server for several days or more.
- At installation time ZCO will create a new profile in Outlook and set Outlook to automatically use this new profile. Any mail you have saved in Outlook will not be immediately accessible. See Installing the Outlook Connector for more information and instructions on how to restore access to your old mail.
- There have been reports of problems with the Outlook Connector when Google Desktop is installed. If you encounter problems syncing and have Google Desktop installed it is recommended that you try removing or disabling Google Desktop to see if that clears the issue up.
- ZCO is regularly updated by the vendor. Users who install it should check monthly for new versions to make sure they are running the latest version IT Services recommends. Users running Stanford Desktop Tools will be automatically notified when a new version of ZCO is available.
- Installing the Outlook Connector: Includes the download link for the software, installation instructions and instructions on accessing previous Outlook data after installation.
- Creating a Meeting
- Sharing a Calendar
- Adding the Stanford Holidays Calendar
- Accessing the List of Resource Calendars