Departmental computing support services
Typical departmental computing support services include:
- Desktop support for Mac, Windows, and Linux-based personal computers.
- Setup, installation, and configuration of laptops and desktops.
- Migration of files between systems, data backups, and restores.
- Accessing the Stanford network, working remotely and using VPN.
- Connection of peripherals, like scanners, printers, and external hard drives.
- Assistance with secure computing, encryption, antivirus, software patches, and system updates.
- Troubleshooting Essential Stanford Software and help accessing Stanford web applications, like ReportMart, Axess, Workgroup Manager, and SmartMart.
- General support for software applications such as Microsoft Office, EndNote, Adobe applications (Acrobat, Photoshop, Creative Suite), SPSS, MatLab, and other titles.
- Mobile device assistance, help configuring and using smartphones and tablets.
- Network troubleshooting, wired and wireless connectivity, SUNet Local Network Administrator (LNA) support and departmental firewall management.
- Printer support, including connecting network and locally attached printers, driver installation, and troubleshooting printing problems.
- Consulting services for workgroups and organizations; business and purchasing advice; guidance and assistance with special projects.
CRC offers help in connecting clients to vendors providing copier, fax and printer hardware support, home visits, software development, database administration, website development, equipment relocation, and software licensing management.
CRC provides extended services that can be offered alone — or combined with our core services above, for a more comprehensive support package.
- Server Administration offering comprehensive support for department and workgroup server systems. For further information, see the CRC Server Group.
- Stabilization Services providing dedicated resources to transition client computing environments to a support level that is both manageable and predictable.
- Premium Support which reduces the ratio of desktops per consultant, providing greater client focus and faster response times, appropriate for more complex environments with special needs.
- Project Assistance creating a custom service offering for unique workgroup events, such as extended infrastructure overhauls, major department-wide system upgrades, inventory projects, and moves.
- Lab Management helping organizations with public access terminals and computing labs, including imaging, deployment services, and site visits.
Supported operating systems
CRC supports the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows XP Professional; Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate; Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate.
- Macintosh: OS X 10.5 and above.
- Linux: Ubuntu 7.10 and above; Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4.6 and above; Debian 5.0 and above; Fedora 8.0 and above.
- Mobile: Apple's iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone.
Older versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are supported on a best-effort basis and may be subject to an additional “non-standard OS” monthly charge.