Information Technology Services is Stanford's cable television service provider. Called Cardinal Cable, the service offers entertainment, sports, news, cultural programming, and educational channels.
Stanford offers Cable TV service for student, faculty, and staff residences as well as classrooms and conference rooms.
Stanford's Infrastructure transports television services throughout Stanford's residential and academic environments. The service delivered through the campus infrastructure requires a one-time activation fee with a monthly technology fee to support the operation and maintenance of the system as well as a variety of specialty programming from other sources. Included are both SD and HD programming. This service does include free programming from DIRECTV® as well as upgraded video service.
For student residence halls and on-campus apartments
If you and your roommate(s) choose to subscribe to cable TV service, you must subscribe through the university. Local cable TV companies do not provide service at Stanford. Service is charged monthly to your University bill.
For faculty and staff residences
At Olmsted Terrace, Stanford West, and Welch Road Apartments.
For classrooms and conference rooms
Used by university departments in classrooms and conference rooms, Cardinal Cable provides access to educational and news channels.
To order Cardinal Cable TV service:
- Faculty and staff — To order new service or to make changes to your existing services, dial 650-725-HELP, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Students — Place your order online through orderit.stanford.edu.
You can self-install your digital cable box. Cable boxes are available for pickup the day after you submit your order online, at:
- ID Card Office at Tresidder Union at 459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd floor, next to the Ticket Office [map]
Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed from 12:30 to 1 p.m.)
Use of a TiVo DVR with a Cardinal Cable subscription requires a separate TIVO subscription. A list of compatible TiVo® DVRs is available.
Leaving Stanford? You must cancel your service online and return your cable box!
If you do not return your digital cable box when you cancel your service, you will be charged a $449.95 fee for the unreturned box.
- Students should return cable boxes to their Housing Front Desk.
- Residents of Welch Road Apartments should return cable boxes to the Welch Road Leasing Office at 1180 Welch Road, Apt. 816.
- Residents of Stanford West and Olmsted Terrace should return cable boxes to the ID Card Office, Tresidder Union at 459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd floor, next to the Ticket Office, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed from 12:30 – 1 p.m.) [map].