This service provides standard ways for individuals and groups to share files across intranets and the Internet. The Individual & Group file storage service uses the CIFS (Common Internet File System) protocol to provide access to central file services.
By using a remote file-access protocol that is compatible with the way applications already share data on local disks and network file servers, Individual & Group file storage enables collaboration on the Internet. It can be a good way to have secure and sharable file storage for groups and departments.
Features and benefits
- Security:Provides authenticated access to named file shares.
- Access: The data is accessible from multiple client operating system platforms.
- Data Integrity: Supports the typical set of file operations: open, close, read, write, and seek.
- Physical Security: The data is stored on servers located in the secure enterprise data center facility.
- Reliability: The data is stored in redundant hardware.
- Recoverability: Snapshots are taken of the data twice a day.
- Optimization for Slow Networks: Protocols have been tuned to run well over slow-speed connections, such as the normal wired and wireless connections to SUNet.
Your Department Contact can order Individual & Group File Storage via OrderIT. Individual & Group File Storage is available to faculty and staff by subscription and is charged monthly to your department’s IT bill.
- File Storage Details
- How to Access File Storage
- Organizing Data
- Storage Solutions Summary Chart
- How to Get More Storage Space