The Cisco SoftPhone (Cisco Unified Personal Communicator) lets you place and receive calls on your Mac or PC. Log in using your SUNet ID and password. To get started:
- Obtain and Install the SoftPhone App [Mac] [PC]
- Log In [Mac] [PC]
- Set up Optional Preferences [Mac] [PC]
- Get to Know the Client [Mac] [PC]
- Choose SoftPhone or Desk Phone Mode [Mac] [PC]
Desktop support and headsets are required.
You can search the Stanford Directory for a contact and add that person to your Contacts list. All contacts can be in a general alphabetical list or organized into groups that you define. The Recent pane lists incoming and outgoing call history,
Place and receive calls
To place a call, you can either click a contact, or press the Dialpad icon and enter the number manually. To answer an incoming call, press the handset icon . With a call in progress, you can merge calls to transfer a call or to create a conference call.
- A VPN connection is required for logging in to and using the SoftPhone from off campus.
- Calls, chat, and video over SoftPhone are not currently encrypted, so should not be used to transmit Prohibited, Restricted, or Confidential Data.
IM and email
Although the SoftPhone client provides an Instant Messaging feature, it is not currently encrypted, so should not be used to transmit Prohibited, Restricted, or Confidential Data. IT Services recommends that you use the Stanford IM system instead.
For contacts or search results whose information includes an email address, click the envelope icon to launch a message window in your default mail program pre-filled with the contact's email address.
If a problem comes up in installing or in using your SoftPhone, you can check the Troubleshooting page; if your issue isn't addressed there, submit a HelpSU request.