Stanford network self-registration for iPhone
for faculty, staff, and students living off-campus
In addition to the 3G network, the iPhone can connect to available wireless networks for faster data transfers. You must register your iPhone's wireless card in order to connect automatically to Stanford's wireless network.
To register: (students living in an on-campus residence)
Register your iPhone at ResComp. If you are unable to self-register, contact your RCC for help.
To register: (faculty and staff, and students living off-campus)
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap Stanford.
Note: You must be in a Stanford wireless-enabled location for your iPhone to find the "Stanford" network option.
- Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.
- Open Safari.
This should automatically redirect you to the Stanford Network Self-Registration page.
- The self-reg page gives you options depending upon your status.
- Click the Network Registration button.
The Stanford WebAuth page is displayed.
- Log in with your SUNet ID and password.
The "choose location" screen is displayed.
- Select from the dropdown menu the location where your iPhone will
most often be used. If you don't see your location in the dropdown
menu, enter your building and room number in the Room Number text field.
Note: If you need help filling in this information, you can press the I'm not sure button to see a list of LNAs (Local Network Administrators). Most departments have an LNA, who can give you the correct information to enter.
Press the Continue button.
The "description" page is displayed.
- The system should auto-fill your SUNet ID, LNA (or other
administrator), and your iPhone's unique identifier. Click the radio
buttons to answer the last two questions.
Note: If your iPhone will be used to access Restricted data, see the Data classification page to learn more.
- After 20 approximately minutes, renew your iPhone's IP address:
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi > Stanford.
- Tap Forget this Network.
- When the confirmation screen appears, tap the red Forget Network bar.
- Tap the Wi-Fi Networks button to return to the previous screen.
- Choose the network Stanford (so that it's checked), and tap the right arrow to advance to the next screen, where you should see your IP address and other information filled in.
The "finished" page is displayed.
Getting additional help
If you are unable to self-register, or if you have questions about the process, contact your Local Network Administrator or submit a HelpSU Request. Include the Wi-Fi address address (also known as the MAC address) in your request. To locate it:
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Tap General.
- Tap About.
- Scroll down to Wi-Fi Address and carefully copy down the number displayed there.
- Tap the Home button to return to the Home screen.
Students living in an on-campus residence: register your computer or device at ResComp. If you are unable to self-register, contact your RCC for help.