Webmail is an email program that works with a web browser. It allows you to access your @Stanford email from any computer with a web browser and an Internet connection. There is no software to download or configure.
Note: Whether you access Webmail from a public or private computer, your Webmail account may still be accessible by others if you do not log out completely when you are done. The safest way to ensure you are logged out is to quit the browser when you are finished. You can also click Webmail's "Log Out" link, then click the "Log out of WebLogin single sign-on" link on the resulting page.
To learn more about the Webmail interface, see the View Mail page.
Log in and read mail
- Type webmail.stanford.edu in the Address Bar of your web browser.
- Enter your SUNetID and Password on the WebLogin page and click Login.
- Click the link to continue to Webmail.
- Your Webmail Inbox opens.
- To read a message, click once anywhere on the message row.
The message displays in the preview pane. A portion of the message shows in the subject line.
Reply to mail
- To reply to an email message, click Reply on the email toolbar.
- Compose your message.
- When you are finished composing your reply message, click Send.
Send message immediately
- To send a new message, click New. The message composition window opens.
- Enter the To and Subject fields. Compose your message.
- When finished, click Send to send your message.
Send message later
- You can compose a message now and schedule it to be sent later. Create your message as usual by clicking New, completing the To and Subject fields, and composing your message.
- When finished creating your message, click the arrow next to Send and select Send Later.
- Use the Time arrows to select the date and time to send the message.
- Click OK. Your message is saved and will be sent automatically on the date and time you chose.
To view your inbox and retrieve any new mail, click the Inbox in your folders list, or click Get Mail.
Recover a deleted email
Often, you can retrieve an email after you have deleted it.
- If you notice the mistake immediately, click Undo.
- If you need to retrieve an email at a later time, you may be able to restore it from the Trash folder:
- Click the Trash folder.
- Drag the email to be restored to the desired folder.
- Items may be recoverable up to seven days after you empty your Trash folder. To recover the deleted items:
- Right-click the Trash folder.
- Select Recover Deleted Items. The Recover Deleted Items dialog box opens.
- Scan the list for the desired item. If it's in the list, select it.
- Click Recover To.
- Select the desired folder for the recovered item.
- Click OK.
- In the Recover Deleted Items dialog box, click Close. The recovered item is now in the folder that you chose in Step 5.